In John 16 Jesus is all the more intentional to equip his disciples for his absence, and for the opposition they will face. He foretells the hardship to come, but makes it clear he will be with them every step of the way. He says the same to us today—no matter how dark things get.
1 I have told you these things to keep you from stumbling. 2 They will ban you from the synagogues. In fact, a time is coming when anyone who kills you will think he is offering service to God. 3 They will do these things because they haven’t known the Father or me. 4 But I have told you these things so that when their time comes you will remember I told them to you.
"I have told you these things to keep you from stumbling." Opposition will tell you to quit, we are called to abide instead.
• What opposition in your life is most fatiguing?
• What would it cost you or those around you if you chose to quit abiding in Jesus as a result?
"In fact, a time is coming when anyone who kills you will think he is offering service to God." Focus on abiding in opposition, not avoiding opposition.
• Are you tempted to pretend that opposition is not taking place?
• What opposition are you most tempted to avoid?
"They will do these things because they haven't known the Father or me." Knowing God changes everything.
• How has that knowledge changed in your life?
• Share a story of someone you've seen that has dramatically been changed by God (if that person is you, share how!)
1) Some of you need to admit | Following Jesus feels too costly. What costs are keeping you from following Jesus wholeheartedly?
2) Some of you need to receive this encouragement | Jesus knew the hardship you would face in this very moment. Do you believe he won't leave you in the midst of it?
3) Some of you need God to soften your heart | Sauls turn into Pauls. Who can you be praying for in this season who you feel is opposing you?
Commit to joining our church family for 40 Days of Prayer and Fasting
CHURCH WIDE FOCUS: "A Building and Breakthrough"
FAST FROM THIS — Wednesday skip a meal or two with us.
PRAY THROUGH THIS — My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. -2 Corinthians 12:9
ASK FOR THIS — Wisdom for government leaders.