For Christians facing opposition while on mission with Jesus, there is some very good news in this passage -- Jesus sends the Holy Spirit to show people in the world the things they need to repent of. Pro tip: never stop asking the Spirit to do the same for you.
4 But I have said these things to you, that when their hour comes you may remember that I told them to you.“I did not say these things to you from the beginning, because I was with you. 5 But now I am going to him who sent me, and none of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ 6 But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. 7 Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in me; 10 concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; 11 concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged."I have told you these things to keep you from stumbling."
But I have said these things to you, that when their hour comes you may remember that I told them to you.
• Why is it important that we remember often the words Jesus says?
• What role do you think the Holy Spirit has in bringing things to remembrance in order to obey and respond like Jesus would?
• Share a time when scripture was brought to mind and it brought about a change in you.
And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin...
• In our culture sin is understood as a weaponized word and to deny someone rights to their own truth is oppression and abusive.
• What is your response to that? Agree or disagree?
• What does the Bible say that sin is? How is this different than from what the world says?
...and righteousness and judgment: concerning sin, because they do not believe in me.
• In your own words, what is righteousness?
• What is the purpose of biblical judgement? What does this reveal about our human tendency to be judgmental?
1) Some of you need to admit | You've been trying to change on your own. What is one way you've been doing that?
2) Some of you need to receive this encouragement | Jesus sent us the Holy Spirit to navigate hard issues like sin and judgement and the pursuit of righteousness. In what ways can you celebrate this in your real life?
3) Some of you need God to soften your heart | "Love the sinner, hate your sin." What sin can you identify and repent of today?
Commit to joining our church family for 40 Days of Prayer and Fasting
CHURCH WIDE FOCUS: "A Building and Breakthrough"
FAST FROM THIS — Wednesday skip a meal or two with us.
PRAY THROUGH THIS — For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:10
ASK FOR THIS — Political and racial unity.